Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients Treated in a Single Academic Center in Mexico: A Case Series Study

There exists an increasing prevalence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) among patients with COVID-19, which is concerning, as it contributes significantly to morbidity and mortality. Researchers of a study sought to describe the characteristics, treatment, and outcomes of COVID-19 patients with VTE treated in a single academic center in Mexico. The results were published in Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.

In this retrospective study, researchers assessed 2,000 patients (median age, 60) with a positive COVID-19 test between March 2020 and February 2021. The population of interest all had radiologically confirmed VTE, including deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE). Informed consent was obtained from each patient prior to reviewing their medical records.

According to the results, in most cases (78%), VTE presented as a PE, whereas the remaining 22% (n = 8) had a DVT. The median time between hospital admission and VTE was 8 days (range 0-33 days). With respect to the thromboprophylaxis regimen the researchers noted that 35/36 patients received low molecular weight heparin enoxaparin on admission, most commonly at a dose of 60 mg daily (n = 19, 53%). Other complications presented were superinfection (n = 19, 53%), acute kidney injury (n = 11, 31%), and septic shock (n = 5, 14%). A total of 69% of patients (n = 25) required intensive care unit admission, and patients’ overall mortality was 55.6%.

VTE remains a significant cause of increased morbidity and mortality among patients with COVID-19. The strikingly high mortality among patients with VTE highlights the need for further investigation regarding the best preventive, diagnostic, and treatment approaches,”